True, the area has changed down through the years, but in the small village of Keremeos, there are many visible reminders of the past; the Red Bridge is only one of many.
It was built by the Victoria, Vancouver and Eastern Railroad in 1907 during the area’s gold mining era.
There are only a handful of covered bridges remaining on the continent now, the Red Bridge of Keremeos being one of them.
The covered bridge which spans the Similkameen River is a reminder of that bygone time when the V.V.& E. Railway ran up the valley. The line has been abandoned for years now and this bridge is the last of three such structures which could be seen in the lower valley only a decade ago.
Today this covered bridge is used as a highway bridge to the south side of the river and to the Ashnola.